Step1 - You will need the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
- If you have it already then proceed to step 2.
- If you do not have it then follows these steps.
- Click on “Download latest BlackBerry Desktop Manager or Smartphone software” - click on the dropdown button on the ‘Please Select a Product’.
- Select the latest BlackBerry desktop manager without media manager, click on “Next”, Click on “Download Software” and then save not run.
- Save it to your desktop.
- Once this is done, find the icon on the desktop, double click on it and click “Run”.
Step 2 - As it is installing choose:
- Custom set up
- Personal email (unless it’s your company's account)
- YES to create a desktop shortcut
- NO to open desktop manager every time your computer turns on
- YES to check for updates
You also need the Smartphone/Handheld Software.
If you have it already then proceed to step 3.
If you do not have it then follow these steps:
- Click on “Download latest BlackBerry Desktop Manager or Smartphone software” - click on the dropdown button and select “Please Select a Product”.
- Select the ‘software’ matching your model BlackBerry. Click on “Next”, Click on “Download Software”.
- Download the handheld software, click Save not Run.
NOTE: (your desktop manager needs to be closed for this step)
- Save it to your desktop.
- Once it’s done, find the icon on the desktop, double click on it and click “Run”.
- Now that you’ve installed the Desktop Manager and Handheld software, you’re good to go.
- Open Desktop Manager.
- With the device turned on, connect your BlackBerry with the USB cable
- Check to make sure that the desktop manager shows that your device is connected, check for your pin in the bottom left corner.
Step3 - NOTE: BEFORE PROCEEDING, IF YOU ARE ABLE TO, YOU SHOULD DO A BACKUP OF YOUR DEVICE SO YOU DON’T LOSE ALL OF YOUR INFORMATION ON YOUR DEVICE. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CLICK ON BACKUP/RESTORE THEN CLICK BACKUP. DO NOT CHANGE WHERE THE FILE IS BEING SAVED TO. THE FILE WILL SAVE AS TODAY’S DATE. (If there is more than one BlackBerry in your house then put your name in front of the file name so you can tell your backup file apart from the other BlackBerry)
- Desktop Manager should detect that your device automatically.
- Click “Ok” and simply follow the wizard and select the applications you want to install. The Desktop Manager will back up all of your contacts and emails, wipe your device, install the new operating system, and restore your data from backup.
- Click “Next” then “Finish”.
- This can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes.
NOTE: DO NOT disconnect your BlackBerry until it says “upgrade operation was completed successfully”.